Thursday, April 15, 2004

First mix of 2004!!!
Thanks to the mighty Mixmeister Pro 5, my latest mix CD is definitely my favourite, simply because I love being able to fade songs into one another. My next project will be attempting to actually create some sort of mash-up bootleg. It'll be more of a long-term project, I'm sure.

Anyway, the most recent mix is as follows:

1. The Hold Steady - Positive Jam
2. Mochipet - Johnny Cash vs. Cash Money Millionaires
3. Junior Boys - Birthday
4. JC Chasez - All Day Long I Dream About Sex
5. Boogie Pimps - Somebody To Love
6. Kanye West - Two Words (feat. Mos Def, Freeway and Harlem Boys Choir)
7. Timbaland and Magoo - Cop That Shit (feat. Missy Elliott)
8. Wiley - Wot Do U Call It?
9. Blockhead - Insomniac
10. Air - Cherry Blossom Girl
11. Sleepy Brown - I Can't Wait (feat. Outkast)
12. Alicia Keys - You Don't Know My Name (reggae mix)
13. Telefon Tel Aviv - I Lied
14. Britney Spears - Toxic
15. Kylie Minogue - Red Blooded Woman
16. Memphis Bleek - Just Blaze Bleek and Free (feat. Freeway)
17. Beyonce - Me Myself and I (Panjabi MC mix)
18. Twista - Slow Jamz (feat. Kanye West & Jamie Foxx)
19. J Five - Modern Times (feat. Charlie Chaplin)
20. Muse - Apocalypse Please

Highlights for me is the romping Modern Times, which uses Chaplin's singing to create the melody, and J-Five's witty lyrics about being strong yet silent, like Chaplin, the "mack-daddy" of the 1930s. Pure classic. The Hold Steady, a band that emerged after Lifter Puller dissolved in 2000. Craig Finn gives us a painful reflection on the past century, and then blasts into his "positive jam," a guitar solo that could kill you in your sleep, giving the sense that in a live setting, Finn could fall flat on the floor wailing on his axe without a care about the audience at all. Imagine the bar band with sweat dripping from their forehead, earning nothing more than beer and cigarette money every night, but continuing to take the stage for the love of all things that rock. The Hold Steady what those bands aspire to become.
Mociphet is Violent Turd's newest signing, and have put out a killer mash-up album called Combat, which marries the old with the new. This combination of Cash and Cash Money is flawless, almost seeming like the two tracks were meant to be together.
I'll only talk about one more track, just because I must say, at the very least, that Slow Jamz is absolutely brilliant. Blows me away every time I hear it.

posted by Jonathan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home