Sunday, December 14, 2003

The final mix CD of the year was made this week. Pretty much catches the other songs this year that blew me away, often from albums I'm barely familiar with (well, for the time being, that is). The new mix is as follows:

1. Shack - As Long As I've Got You
2. M83 - Unrecorded
3. Richard X - Finest Dreams (feat. Kelis)
4. !!! - Me and Giuliani Down By The School Yard (A True Story)
5. Constantines - On To You
6. Super Furry Animals - Venus and Serena
7. Belle and Sebastian - I'm A Cuckoo
8. Richard Hawley - Run For Me
9. Goldfrapp - Strict Machine
10. Basement Jaxx - Lucky Star (feat. Dizzee Rascal)
11. British Sea Power - Remember Me
12. Radiohead - A Wolf At The Door
13. Bubba Sparxxx - Nowhere
14. Clearlake - Wonder If The Snow Will Settle
15. The Decemberists - The Chimbley Sweep
16. De La Soul (w/ Sean Paul) - Shoomp
17. Postal Service - Such Great Heights
18. Josh Rouse - Come Back (Light Therapy)

The Constantines song "On To You" was the most exciting song I heard this year on CD, simply because I've seen the band three times so far, and this song stood out all three times as the best thing in their set, so it's great to finally have the studio version. And it totally lived up to my expectation. Clearlake's "Wonder if the Snow Will Settle" is the perfect brit song, and I know if these guys came out in 1996, I would have obsessed over them to no end. Still need to get the album, but having heard it a few times, this is clearly the highlight.
Anyone not convinced of Bubba Sparxxx and Timbaland's skills need go no further than "Nowhere", with killer lyrics, great beats and gorgeous backing singers. And finally, Radiohead's "Wolf At The Door" remains my favourite song from the album. Not sure if it's the beats, the way Thom has distorted his voice, or the lyrics. Maybe it's a combo of all three, but this blows me away. I don't believe it's made it into their live sets yet, which is a shame, but hopefully soon.

posted by Jonathan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home